Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Plane Crash & Power Outage





A small two engine plane crashed in an East Palo neighborhood shortly before 8AM this morning. The plane clipped a power line tower cutting power to most of Palo Alto and parts of surrounding communities. After clipping the tower, pieces of the plane crashed into several cars and two houses on Beech Street. No one on the ground was hurt but all three occupants of the plane were killed; The houses were destroyed by the resulting fires


photo credit: Andy Lillian

My friend Andy lives across the street from one of the houses and heard what sounded like an explosion. My brother, also named Andy, lived in the same room as Andy less than a year ago.

My brother Steve called me at 9AM to see if I wanted to go check it out and try to get some pictures. Back in the day when I was shooting for a newspaper I would have been a lot more aggressive about getting closer shots. But now I figure I've seen enough news stories close up and watched enough bystanders clog up a situation.

No comments: