Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My Gig As A Photo Teacher/Professional Model

During tonight's photography class I reviewed setting the ISO, talked about figuring out a usable minimum shutter speed and discussed more about how aperture affects the final picture. I decided I wanted to give my students some hands on experience with setting these controls on their cameras as I explained it. I needed a subject for them to photograph and I needed enough light for them to use a fast enough shutter speed so as not get blurry pictures due to camera shake. I recently purchased some used hot lights for $20, so I fired one up and sat myself down on the hot seat...man that light was seriously bright.






photo credits: Adam Findley
post processing: me

I seem to be drawn to a type of abstract photography where it takes a moment to realize what you are looking at. So naturally I was drawn to the picture I received below in response to homework I gave out last week dealing with shutter speed. Aside from showing what a tenth of a second shutter speed can do to a speeding train at close range, I really like the diagonal lines fanning out from the right side of the frame with hits of red color against the gray background. And what I think is super cool here is the perfectly still tree branches reflected in the speeding train's window. Well done Travis.


photo credit: Travis Cripps

3 comments:

John Ellsworth said...

The tree branches are awesome. I know this is not your photo but what you see in it inspires me. You have also made me want to teach basic photography! As it is can hardly restrain myself from trying to explain these things to anyone who will listen. I'm about two degrees away from being the scary man with a beard on the subway who for some reason is showing you his camera. Maybe once I feel like I have masted the basics to where I feel like I don't have to think about it anymore I won't be so excited about it anymore. I doubt either will happen. Thanks for sharing what you do. I like it a lot.

Alice said...

I feel the same about abstract photography...taking a moment or a second glance and realizing it's not what you first thought it was.

Home to Energy said...

Robert, your pictures almost made me fall in love with you! Oh wait, was I supposed to comment on the photos, or the subject...? :)