Saturday, October 11, 2008

Blue Angels

I don’t remember the first time I saw the Blue Angels air show but I’m pretty sure it contributed to my boyhood fantasy to fly fighter jets the same way Star Wars contributed to my boyhood fantasy to fly star fighters. Nowadays when I watch the Blue Angels (or Star Wars) ...I still have that same boyhood fantasy. Or more likely, I just refuse to grow up.

Seeing as I refuse to grow up, I brought along one of my toys to fleet week and took some pictures:



A few Blue Angels facts:
•Formed on April 24, 1946 by the Chief of Naval Operations, Chester W. Nimitz, to keep up public interest in naval aviation after World War II.
•One of the first models I built as a kid was the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz.
•The Blue Angels have flown nine different demonstration aircraft.
•My favorite aircraft is the McDonnell F-4J Phantom II flown by the Blue Angels from 1969 to 1974
•In 1949 the Blue Angels sported a bright yellow paint scheme with blue markings.
•My favorite color is blue.

4 comments:

Cloudia said...

Aloha!
Nice pics of the Angels & Bridge. Thanx for Krauss & Plant 'experience.'
visit my site for pics from Honolulu including Elvis sighting this wknd.........

Toweleez said...

Dang, those are some sweet shots. you should send those in to someone. I love the blue angels and vividly remember watching them fly overhead at the moffet field shows as a kid.

Home to Energy said...

Bradshaw, thanks for the nostalgia. I love watching the blue angels, and these are fabulous pictures!

John Ellsworth said...

Wow! the Phantom II is beautiful. Thanks for the history lesson. I am also a huge fan of the The angles. I don't know if it is true but I have been told that the average life span of a blue angle pilot is 5 years.